Sandy Paterson Mountaineering

This is a blog of my personal and work climbing along with all the other things I do in the outdoors. Please feel free to have a look at my main website.

Over winter I will try and blog at the end of each week, however I will aim to tweet each day so feel free to follow me @SandyPMIC



http://www.sandypaterson.co.uk/

Friday 21 January 2011

Winter Skills with Trail Magazine - 18th January

I was out today with Hanna and Tom from Trail magazine for Hanna's first day of winter skills. We parked at the Ciste car park and headed into Coire Laogh Mor. It was clear but a little breeze as we headed into the corries, however we were on hard neve from almost the car park level. On the way in we looked at kicking steps using our boots in ascent, decent and sideways. Once the terrain steepened up we introduced the ice axe and looked at cutting slice steps in ascent and decent as well as cutting master blaster steps in ascent. Using the steep slope to the side of the main corrie we then put crampons on and headed up to the plateau before heading across to spot height 1028 which gave us good views down into Strath Neathy and El Alamein Bothy.

The wind had picked up on the top as we headed back across towards Ciste Gully were we dropped down and found a nice east facing slope to look at some ice axe arrests before heading back to the car.

A great day out although no photos today, I was feeling a little camera self conscious with a pro photographer with us all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment