Sandy Paterson Mountaineering

This is a blog of my personal and work climbing along with all the other things I do in the outdoors. Please feel free to have a look at my main website.

Over winter I will try and blog at the end of each week, however I will aim to tweet each day so feel free to follow me @SandyPMIC



http://www.sandypaterson.co.uk/

Sunday 16 January 2011

Winter ML Ropework


I was back in the Cairngorms today working for Pete Hill on a Winter Mountain Leader ropework day. The forecast was not great and as we headed into Sneachda we were being blown around a fair bit, I was hopeful that we could tuck in under the crags and get out of the SW winds. Thankfully the plan worked!

We looked at the main snow belays today bucket seats, horizontal axes, snow bollards, stompers and ways of improving them all plus of course testing them to destruction. We also spent some time discussing managing a group through steep ground and when you might have to use a rope. The to finish off the day we had a look at confidence roping.

The weather during the day was warm, windy with showers which could not make up there mind if they were snow or rain! Still plenty of snow in the corrie but really only the easier gully lines in condition. There were teams on Hidden Chimney, Aladdin's Colouir, Central Gully, The Runnel and I think a team heading towards Goat Track Gully. The cornices are still there and sagging a lot, I would not go anywhere near them until it all re freezes.

Day off tomorrow (have to get the van sorted, engine is making strange nosies!) then back to the Cairngorms for 3 days so will report back on conditions.

A black looking Aladdin's Buttress

No comments:

Post a Comment