Sandy Paterson Mountaineering

This is a blog of my personal and work climbing along with all the other things I do in the outdoors. Please feel free to have a look at my main website.

Over winter I will try and blog at the end of each week, however I will aim to tweet each day so feel free to follow me @SandyPMIC



http://www.sandypaterson.co.uk/

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Warm up on the Nid - Monday


I am across working in the west coast this week for Jagged Globe on a Mountaineering Course. Today Sam and I took our groups the Nevis Range to use the Gondola to access the snow as quickly as possible. We headed around to the Nid area to refresh the basic skills and introduce some ropework. We spent the day looking at boot work, cramponing and ice axe arrests as well as getting into some steeper ground to do some movement coaching. Once up on the main ridge we looked at descending using snow bollards before heading back to the gondola.

The snow level is around 800m at present but there is still plenty to play on. The freezing level was above the summits today and the winds was around 40mph. Looks like it is going to be a little wilder later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment