Sandy Paterson Mountaineering

This is a blog of my personal and work climbing along with all the other things I do in the outdoors. Please feel free to have a look at my main website.

Over winter I will try and blog at the end of each week, however I will aim to tweet each day so feel free to follow me @SandyPMIC



http://www.sandypaterson.co.uk/

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Great weather and conditions on Ben Nevis

Andy Spink coming down Tower Ridge

Bill and Andy happy in the sun at the top of Green Gully

Starting up the last steep step on pitch 4 of Green Gully

I have been across on the west for the last few days. On Friday and Monday I was at the Nevis Range working on the skis as I log some hours ready for my next BASI course, there is still some skiing there and it is not too bad were the snow has been broken up by the groomer. However the climbing conditions are definitely better!

Over the weekend I was on Ben Nevis, Saturday was a workshop being run by Rich Bently, Alan Kimber and Mike Pescod for the AMI. We were looking at using the ben in bad conditions or when it is very busy, I spent the day with Alan, Andy, Ian and Simon on the far side of Tower Ridge. On Sunday it was a days play so I met up with Bill and Andy and we headed up to the Ciste area with no real plans just to see what was free! I was very surprised so see very few people there and Green Gully free, I had never done this before so we nipped up this (it is in good conditions if a little thin at times). We then came down Number 3 with a short abseil over the cornice and then went up Central which was steep for the grade but great.

A great day out with great conditions. A few days off now before an Avalanche course at Glenmore Lodge. Looks like there is going to be some new snow put down in the Cairngorms this week which is great news.

No comments:

Post a Comment