Sandy Paterson Mountaineering

This is a blog of my personal and work climbing along with all the other things I do in the outdoors. Please feel free to have a look at my main website.

Over winter I will try and blog at the end of each week, however I will aim to tweet each day so feel free to follow me @SandyPMIC



http://www.sandypaterson.co.uk/

Sunday 6 February 2011

Navigation in the rain! - Wednesday


The forecast was poor for today with strong winds and a freezing level above the summits so we opted to stay low and work on our navigation. We spend about an hour in the morning inside looking at some theory and then headed out after a coffee to look at taking bearings and using pacing. After a bit to eat we headed out into the woods that surround Glenmore Lodge and used the orienteering maps to look at lots of different navigation techniques, as well as focusing on contour interpretation.

It rained for most of the day but by mid afternoon the temperature had started to drop and the rain turned to snow higher up on the mountain. Looks like a stormy forecast for tomorrow but it will be cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment