Sandy Paterson Mountaineering

This is a blog of my personal and work climbing along with all the other things I do in the outdoors. Please feel free to have a look at my main website.

Over winter I will try and blog at the end of each week, however I will aim to tweet each day so feel free to follow me @SandyPMIC



http://www.sandypaterson.co.uk/

Thursday 17 March 2011

Let is Snow!!!!!


I was joined last weekend by Rebecca, Rob and Martin on a winter skills weekend. The forecast was for it to snow (a lot) so I decided to get a full day in on the mountain on Saturday to cover as many skills as possible. We headed up to the top car park and up towards the Cas area, there was a mixture of neve and windslab around so some careful route choice was needed. We looked at boot work, step cutting, route choice, ice axe arrests and general issues with kit. From the Cas area we headed around to the restaurant and then back down to the car park. As we got to the car park it was clear all sorts of things had been going on as the ski area had closed early due to the weather and there were a number of damaged cars at the side of the road.

On Sunday I woke to a good 15cm of snow in Aviemore and the news that the ski road would not be open all day! Not that is made much difference as with the amount of snow that had fallen over night (and was still falling) any movement off skis in the mountains was going to be very difficult. We decided to stay low and looked at avalanche searches and transceiver work, plus snow shelters and some avalanche awareness. It was a great day and was still snowing hard as I headed home at 6pm that night!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment