Sandy Paterson Mountaineering

This is a blog of my personal and work climbing along with all the other things I do in the outdoors. Please feel free to have a look at my main website.

Over winter I will try and blog at the end of each week, however I will aim to tweet each day so feel free to follow me @SandyPMIC



http://www.sandypaterson.co.uk/

Friday 30 September 2011

3 New Munro's!





I have been back across west for the last few days working with the 1st year students from West Highland College. The aim was for a 3 day back packing journey to look at camp craft, the environment, navigation and some emergency procedures. I love these trips for the college as there is no set location for the 3 days so I can go and explore a new area, and if I am lucky tick off some new Munro's. So after a quick chat with the students on Wednesday morning about equipment and our aims we had a look at areas on the map and found that none of us had been to the Munro's to the east of Loch Treig.


We parked at Fersit and headed along the track to the Strathossian House area were we set up camp next to the river and then headed up Beinn na Lap to see the sun setting. It was a great night as is shown by the photos above, it was then back to the tents for a good nights sleep. On Thursday we headed west up to Meall Dhearcaig and alone to Chno Dearg and then onto Stob Coire Sgriodain, this area was great for navigation as we were in thick cloud and rain from about 600m! We then headed south to a camp fairly low down and after a bite to eat headed out for 2 hours night nav. Finally today we spent the morning in and around camp talking about equipment, the mountain leader award, emergency procedures and river crossings before heading back to the college.

A great few days with a fit keen group. Now time to quickly change rucksacks and wash some cloths and off to Glenmore Lodge for the weekend for an Intro Scrambling course.

No comments:

Post a Comment