Sandy Paterson Mountaineering

This is a blog of my personal and work climbing along with all the other things I do in the outdoors. Please feel free to have a look at my main website.

Over winter I will try and blog at the end of each week, however I will aim to tweet each day so feel free to follow me @SandyPMIC



http://www.sandypaterson.co.uk/

Thursday 6 January 2011

Mountaineering Council of Scotland Avalanche Courses

Snow Pack evaluation
I was working across on the west last weekend for the Mountaineering Council of Scotland. There were two 1 day Avalanche Assessment courses based out of the Nevis Range open to both members and non members at £35 per person and run on a 1:4 ratio these are great value.

The snow pack was fairly solid having re-frozen after the post Christmas thaw but there were still plenty of layers to assess on both days. On both days I took my teams around the Nid area were there is plenty of different aspects, little bowls, terrain traps and different angles. We spent the days looking at assessment techniques, safe route choice as well as throwing in some winter skills along the way.

A great few days and a nice way to see the New Year in! I am in the Cairngorms this weekend and next week doing a mixture of winter skills and climbing. The skiing is good at present with another 10cm last night. Great start to the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment